A Journey for Our Daughter

We are Mark and Kari. This blog was created for family and friends to follow along on our adventure to Nanning, China, for our daughter, Thea QiuXiang. We are home now, posting updates about our own little Wonderful World as a family of 7!

Thursday, June 12, 2008

Dialogue with Thea!

The countdown is on and the frenzy has started. I am an emotional basketcase (just like I was with all of my kids two weeks before I was blessed by meeting them). There is officially no guarantee from me what my reaction will be when you talk about our trip to China. All the normal (what I consider normal, anyway) fears, questions, anxiety and everything else rolled up, start to creep in as the days get closer. I'm no longer calm and collected, I am UNPREDICTABLE :)
Tonight I was sitting at my computer, working on last minute paperwork for the adoption, and I received an e-mail from our China coordinator. As I read it, I started sobbing (usual occurence these days). It could not have come at a better time and as I cried, I smiled the whole time. I cannot wait to meet my daughter :)
Instead of describing it, I am just going to post it:

Hi Mark and Kari,

I was on the phone talking to Beiliu SWI's director assistant. In the middle of our conversation, he told me that Thea just walked in the office. I was so excited and asked if I could talk to her over the phone.

She has this cute voice. I asked her questions and she was able to answer clearly.

Here was our conversation:

Sabrina : How old are you, Qiu Xiang?
Thea: 9

Sabrina : Do you go to school?
Thea: Yes.

Sabrina: What grade are you in?
Thea: 1st grade.

Sabrina: Do you know how to write words in Chinese?
Thea: Yes.

Sabrina: Can you write your own name?
Thea: Yes.

Sabrina: Do you have friends in school?
Thea: Yes.

Sabrina: Do you know how to do math?
Thea: Yes.

Sabrina: Can you add?
Thea: Yes.

Sabrina: What is 1+1?
Thea: 2Sabrina : What is 2+3?
Thea: 5

Sabrina: Do you know how to subtract?
Thea: YES! (she was very proud that she knew the answers for the math questions)

Sabrina: What is 3-2?
Thea: 1

Sabrina: What is 6-4?
Thea: 2

Sabrina: I had 10 apples and ate 8 of them. How many apples do I have now?
Thea: 2

Sabrina: Do you know your mommy and daddy are coming?
Thea: (silence, I did not want to press the issue. so I went on.)

Sabrina: Do you know how to sing?
Thea: Yes.

Sabrina: What is your favoriate song?
Thea: (silence. I think she does not want to sing to me.)

Sabrina: Do you have school today?
Thea: Yes.

Sabrina: Is school over now?
Thea: Not yet.

Sabrina: So, you are back to have lunch. Have you had lunch?
Thea: Not yet.

Sabrina: Go ahead. Go eat. Thank you for talking to me.
Thea: ok.


She is a well behaved child. She was on the phone for quite a long time with me. I just want to share this experience with you.

The orphanage director will try to take photos of Thea's school for you.

Have a wonderful day!

Sabrina :)

No comments: