A Journey for Our Daughter

We are Mark and Kari. This blog was created for family and friends to follow along on our adventure to Nanning, China, for our daughter, Thea QiuXiang. We are home now, posting updates about our own little Wonderful World as a family of 7!

Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Final Day in Guangzhou, China

Yesterday was our FINAL day in China. Yes, after three adoptions, it is safe to say that yesterday was the last time we'll be in Guangzhou to make things official :) Truth be told, if I had a few nannies (for cooking and cleaning), 10 more limbs (for hugs, kisses and driving) and a few more heads (to outwit my children and watch ALL of their sporting events), I would love to adopt more children. But I don't, so . . . well . . . we are a family of 7 forever :)

We were out of the hotel room almost the entire day. The morning started out by packing up all of the suitcases, then we headed out to finish up a little shopping. Mark and I took the kids and he finished up his watch purchases (because he really needs another watch! sigh). I was on the hunt for Northface coats for all of the kids. On our first trip to China, the coats were my favorite purchase. This time, I didn't think of it (after all, it was 90 degrees and raining almost every day!) until my sister sent an e-mail asking me to get her one. I found a store right across the street where the worker offered to call the "factory" for me. She told me to come back after dinner to see what she was able to get.

At 2:30, we had to meet in the hotel lobby to head to our US Consulate Appointment, which took place 45 minutes away. All of the families with their children loaded up on to three separate buses. The appointment, to make things official on the "US side", requires parents to swear to the information provided for the adoption. The families (probably over 100 of them), all sit in the same room and swear together. After 3 times of doing this, I still think it is one of the best days . . . kind of the final step. We received our "brown packet" (to be given to the customs official when we land on US soil) and our children's Chinese passport and visa. The official asked if it was anyone's birthday. It was Katie's first birthday, along with another little girl. We all sang Happy Birthday before heading back to the hotel. Unfortunately, cameras are not allowed inside the Consulate, so I left everything back at the hotel.

By the time we got back to the hotel, it was after 5pm. We all headed to our rooms to dress the kids in their Chinese clothing for the imfamous "red couch photo" and on to a birthday celebration for Katie's first birthday! Steve and Beth graciously offered to host all of us at the Thai restaurant for dinner and birthday cake. Unfortunately, Gordon, Haruyo and Sumi could not attend. Haruyo caught something and has been very sick for a day. Dinner was delicious. Katie was just too tired from an exhausting day out with no nap, so she didn't get to enjoy her celebration as much as we did!

After dinner, Mark, Kam, Thea and I went out shopping again (shocking, I know). All the little shops by the hotel stay open until 11pm. It was a really nice night and I had to look at the Northface coats, and of course get last minute items I didn't get around to purchasing. I put Mark on the task of coat negotiating (he is getting excellent at that!) while I let Thea and Kam buy a few more items.

Our evening ended LATE, back at the hotel, packing up all of our last minute purchases. My next entry will be a summary of our trip HOME!!! Goodbye for now.
PS - Thea was a trooper, even at late night shopping. Polite, sweet and loving.



Kam and Thea with a CUTE little pug puppy at one of the shops.



Ice cream, again. Vanilla this time, not green bean!



Traditional Chinese outfits modeled by Thea, Kam, Shawn and Sophia.



Final night - family pose at the White Swan Hotel, Guangzhou, China!

Posted by Picasa

No comments: